Joseph/Samuel/Ephraim  HAWLEY

Ephraim Hawley, son of Samuel was born in Stratford, Connecticut 7 Aug 1692 and died in Arlington, Vermont in November, 1771.

He was one of the many sons of Samuel, Sr. and a large landholder in the township of New Milford, now Bridgewater.  Later, several of his children moved to Arlington, Vermont.  He was also prominent in church work.

Source: The House of Hawley, by Elsie Hawley Platt, 1909

Ephraim Hawley, son of Samuel, Sen, married in 1711, Sarah Curtis, but whose daughter she was has not been ascertained. In some records her name is written Phebe.    In 1717,  his father deeded him 172 acres of land at “White Plain,” which is now in Trumbull, CT, a rich piece of land, and some portion of it has been occupied by sons of the Hawley family until within a few years of the present time (1890).

In 1727, he was “of Stratford,” but in 1728, he was “of Newtown,” CT, and in 1733 he was “of New Milford,” CT.    In the records of Newtown the following is seen: “October ye 19th, 1727. Then agreed and voted by ye inhabitants of Newtown, that Hugh Stillson, Ephraim Hawley and Jeremiah Northrup should be appointed a committee to erect a school house.”

“December 9th, 1728. At a lawful town meeting, Ephraim Hawley is chosen selectman, and Stephen Hawley collector for the year ensuing.”

Buried at St James Cemetery
Arlington, VT


He became a large land-holder in the south-eastern portion of the township of New Milford, that which is now Bridgewater, and he resided there about thirty years or more, and several of his children having removed to Arlington, VT, he went to that place, where it is said he died in 1771, and if so he was 79 years of age. Where and when his wife died has not been ascertained.    The New Milford town records say of him: “Dec 9, 1734. Voted that Mr Joseph Benedict and Mr Ephraim Hawley shall be freed from paying their minister’s rate for four months in the winter season for this year in case they pay to a minister at Shepaug in Woodbury.”    These men joined the New Milford church in 1729, by letters from Newtown, and Joseph Benedict’s house is spoken of as in Shepaug Neck, near the east branch of Wawecoes Brook, and Ephraim Hawley lived near him.

Source: The Hawley Record, Elias Sill Hawley, 1890  Genealogical Note #22, page 453